Thursday, June 25, 2015

Cave exploring, archaeological dig & desert experience in the Negev

Shalom from Israel!   We have finished our amazing desert experience in Ramat HaNegev and now resting comfortably at Kibbutz Ketura in the Arava Valley.  We hiked in the Negev Desert and to Ein HaKev. Click here to  check out our hike

On Tuesday morning we had the chance to explore some caves in Hirbet Midras and then onto an archaeological dig where many students found bits of pots, plate and even teeth from over 2,200 years ago.

We then headed down to S'de Boker to visit Paula & David Ben-Gurion's grave and learn all about the vision that he had many years ago in the Negev.  We then spent the next few days hiking and camping in the Negev desert by climbing up steep hills, cliffs, relaxing at an oasis, bedouin tent and finally at our last camp site.   We all enjoyed the morning at the Neve Midbar spa showering, enjoying the jacuzzi & mineral pool and then had the chance to tour the Ramat HaNegev Regional Council building and see their new emergency room.

Tomorrow we are heading down to Eilat for some Banana Boating, snorkeling and returning to Kibbutz Ketura to join the community for a Shabbat service & dinner.



Blog Entry from Josh Goldin:

I would just like to start off by thanking Josh Samet and the entire staff for organizing this amazing trip.  My personal first week in Poland was a little rough with somber days full of tours followed by mediocre meals at kosher delight; however, I could feel a sense of family starting to materialize. Everyone came together during our first week in Poland and helped each other through the tough times. During this time, I couldn't help but feel it building to Israel. The transition from Poland to Israel was especially meaningful for me.  Our first day in the homeland was marked by a sunrise at the sea and a visit to the Kotel. For me personally that was an experience that is hard to put into words. I guess I have to try, it was overwhelming knowing the amount of Jewish history I was standing before, emotionally it was the first time I cried on our trip which surprised me due to our time in Poland. I cried because I felt free, for the first time in a week I felt like I was supposed to be there. Poland was uncomfortable, overbearing. Israel was (still is) liberating, as well as exciting. I couldn't be happier to be in my home and I am excited for new memories to come.

IST 2015 visiting the Ramat HaNegev Regional Councial


Cave Exploring













Archaelogical Dig at Beit Guvrin




























Desert Experience in Ramat HaNegev





















IST 2015 on top of Od HaKev

Our desert oasis










The amazing Bedouin woman who made us hot tea, fresh pita, labaneh and more!












No comments:

Post a Comment